Home Staging: Room by Room
Home Staging 101 – Room By Room Guide
Sometimes we need to get specific when we talk about home www. For general, easy home staging tips, please visit our Common Quick Fixes page. On this page we’ll go room by room and tell you everything you need to know about staging your home for showings.
Entry Way – Creating an open and inviting space when potential buyers enter your home is crucial.
- This is the first thing the potential buy will see inside your home, make it count, to see what they need to see from the outside then visit our Home Staging- Exterior page.
- De-clutter your foyer – Less is more
- Make one object the focal point – a painting or a piece of furniture
- Use a lamp to create warmth (floor lamp if you do not have a piece of furniture)
- Place fresh flowers on the table
- Remove anything unattractive and boring
- HINT: No matter the time of day always keep your foyer lamp on while showing
Living Room – Find your focal point and accent it. For instance, if you have a great fireplace, draw it out of the space by placing a mirror above it, flanked with candles.
- First impression of the living room is vital, this is where they will be spending a lot of time with their families and guests
- Furnish the room with smaller furniture, rather than over sized pieces to make the room appear larger and more open
- Group furniture together for easy conversations
- Accent the room with bright colors – fresh flowers, pillows and blankets
- Clear the space in front of windows and doors, you want to be able to bring natural light in while showing
- A common mistake that homeowners make is to push furniture against the wall to make the room seem bigger, this is not true! Floating furniture makes the room appear more spacious
- Arrange furniture so that guests can spot obvious traffic flow through the room
- In a large space stick to more neutral colors for paint, then throw in brightness with pillows, flowers, or artwork
- The character of the home should match the accessories. For example, a 1920 home should not have a modern lamp
- Make the potential buyer comfortable and relaxed. In the summer months crank the air conditioning up so they can escape from the summer heat. Likewise, in the winter months make sure the fireplaces are on to create a warm atmosphere.
- If you have a dark corner, add a lamp to bring light to the entire room
Dining Room– In the dining room, less is more so put the bric-a-brac away and anything else that does not belong.
- The dining room is the most formal room in your home, remove all family pictures, excessive plates and keep it simple and elegant
- One thing to include would be a large painting or beautiful artwork
- There should be little furniture in the room, it needs to be easy to navigate through
- Hardwood is a must, more elegant than carpeting
- If your table is not up to your standards, purchase a white tablecloth
- Two large candles in between a floral arrangement go a long way
- A lamp or two on the buffet will bring light if it is needed
Kitchen– This is the room you home revolves around and the room that buyers are usually most excited to see. The kitchen has to be spotless and very organized because the potential buyer will open everything, seriously every cabinet, drawer, and door they can. For tips on how to organize your storage space visit our Home Staging- Storage page.
- The cabinets, appliances and counter tops should all come together so the room has a nice flow
- Matching cabinets is key, white is more open and inviting
- Large fruit in bowls brings color to the room. Stick with lush red apples, oranges and grapes
- Put some fun cookbooks on the counter or in some place visible, it brings excitement to the room
- Remove almost all of your appliances, the point is to be spotless!
- Make sure your dinner table is neat, clean and has plates with napkins
Bedroom– This is what they have been waiting for, the oasis in their new home, make it count!
- Make the bed seem irresistible with luxurious bedding and soft tones
- For show the bed frame is much more important than the mattress so splurge here if you can
- One thing to never forget is to make this room unisex, appeal to both parties
- The most important and obvious thing to remember is that your bed is well made, with plenty of pillows!
The bed is your focal point, make it stand out and be the first thing they see when they walk in
- This room needs to be peaceful, calm, and inviting. Don’t have anything too crazy and out there
- Like in every room de-clutter and organize
- All of the furniture doesn’t have to match but it should flow well together
- When decorating the nightstand keep it to a maximum of three items
- Simple artwork, the mind does not need to be racing when trying to fall asleep
- Finally, pillows are your secret weapon
Bathroom– A grimy bathroom is a deal breaker, use these tips and your bathroom will be perfect
- If you have old tile, get it professionally pained to make it look brand new
- Pedestal sinks in a small bathroom make it seem much larger, and more sophisticated
- Put a little basket with some spa treatment items near the bath tub for cute touch
- Candles lining the bathtub is also a homey touch
- Fresh, clean and neatly folded towels are a must, no one wants to feel dirty
- Put two large towels over the rack with two small hand towels over them, classic and elegant
- Final rule: hide your toothbrush, face wash, and all other unnecessary accessories a stranger would not want to see
Bonus Room– Staging this room can be a challenge because everyone has a different idea of what they would want to do with it. As long as you keep it simple then their imagination can do the rest.
- Be inviting to both the children and adults, neutral is best here
- If this room does not have storage try adding some shelves
- Make sure the room is comfortable and fun, this is where the family gets to relax together
- If you have small children, hide their toys
- If you have teenagers, also hide their toys!
Sun Room– This is where you get to enjoy nature while still being inside your home, try and keep the electronics to a minimum here.
- Paint the room green, it will fit well with the surrounding nature
- Simple seating and plenty of open space
- This is a place where you can sit and read the paper in the morning before work, make it feel relaxing before a stressful day
- When showing keep the door open to bring in the natural light
Baton Rouge real estate agents are full of great tips on how to make your home perfect for staging, to see their advice visit our Advice From Our Agents page.
Brandon did a great job selling our home. He was always available and kept us informed during the process. Brandon is very knowledgeable and more importantly he is honest. I highly recommend Brandon to anyone looking to buy or sell a home.
Brandon was very helpful and knowldgeable. My wife and I were new to the area and looking for our first house Brandon was willing to work with us around my work schedule and was very kind in allowing our young son to come along on house searches and helping to keep him entertained as well .
Derek is a great guy! It’s been months since we bought our home and I can still call him if I have any questions. If I ever buy another house it will definitely be with him.
I am almost 60 years young and have needed to depend on realtors about 5 times in my life, either with buying new property or selling old. Derek was the very first that came with no irritation, or that feeling that I can’t wait to never see this person once the deal is done! With changes in life through new housing being hard enough, Derek Overstreet will become a family friend, due to his professional and trusting guidance as your realtor.
Working with Smart Move Real Estate and Jay Johnson was an absolute pleasure. They not only got my home sold for top dollar, they also saved me a lot of money in the process. Jay went above and beyond to educate and assure me throughout the process. There is no other Realtor that I would even consider referring to my friends and family!
Brandon was very helpful during my home search. He was quite resourceful and responsive. I would highly recommend him if you’re looking to purchase or sale your home.
My husband and I purchased our dream home in April 2015. Prior to buying our home, we searched and worked with few real estate agents. Finally our headache was over!!! We meet with Brandon and just by talking to him we felt confident in him. He is very professional and knows his work. He is very prompt and very helpful. My husband and I highly recommend him. He made sure that we were in our dream home as promised. Brandon takes care of his clients. Becoming a homeowner has been the best thing we…
Brandon is seriously the best real estate agent out there! He literally walked us through every detail of the process and he is so easy to communicate with! He gets back to you ASAP and he exceeded all of our expectations for an agent! I would highly recommend him to anyone!
Derek was always ready to meet me and show homes when it was convenient to me. When he understood what was most important to me in a home, he would diligently research new listings and send them to me. He worked for me a few months prior to my move from Colorado, never forgetting to keep me informed.
We really enjoyed working with Brandon while searching for our new home. He let us know what to expect and lead us through the whole process so that it didn’t have to be a stressful one. He also responded to our calls and texts quickly, with no matter how small or big our question or concern was. I would highly recommend him to anyone who is even thinking about buying or selling their home.