Quick Fixes for Staging Your Property For Sale
Home Staging 101 – Common Quick Fixes
In this article, you will find easy, quick fixes that you can do to get your home sell-ready! Make sure to click the links throughout the article for personal home staging tips from our expert real estate agents in Baton Rouge.
- Curb appeal is important – We know that landscaping is expensive, and it will not be cost effective to hire a professional just to get your home ready for showings. Make sure the grass is freshly cut, the porch is cleanly swept and the mailbox is firmly planted in the ground! For more outside your home staging advice see our Staging the Exterior page.
- Clean out your closets – You don’t need a custom California Closet system to make your storage space look big and efficient. Make sure to keep your closets and attic space organized and clutter-free. Buyers want to see that all their stuff can be neatly stored behind closed doors! For a more in-depth guide on how to clean your closet visit our Home Staging Your Storage page.
- De-clutter everywhere! Entry ways, hallways, stairs, living spaces, closets, kitchens and bedrooms! In general, the more basic the furnishings, the more clean and big the spaces are going to feel. Check out our Home Staging Room by Room for specific ways to de-clutter the spaces in your home!
- Fix small problems on a small budget – If cabinets squeak, slather on some WD-40 for a quick fix. Tighten up door and cabinet handles, and do some simple retouch work if any paint is chipping from the walls. These simple fixes can go a long way.
- Buy fresh flowers! There is nothing like a vase of fresh flowers to brighten a room and give it a feeling of cleanliness and warmth. Find flowers whose blooms will last about a week and get creative with your vases. Almost anything can be used as a vase! Never use fake flowers and make sure your fresh flowers are just that…FRESH!
- Open the windows 20-30 minutes prior to showings – This will allow fresh air to flow through your home. No one wants to walk into a stuffy house. Airflow is very important during a showing to alleviate any potentially offensive smells from cooking, pets etc…
- Let there be light! Open all the blinds and curtains, turn on lamps and overhead lights (depending on the style) and make sure your each part of all your windows are squeaky clean. If your lamp doesn’t seem to be doing the trick, buy bulbs with more wattage.
- Find a friend to do a walk-thru – Having a 2nd, objective eye walk through your property as a mock buyer can help you see what needs to be changed. Ask them to pay close attention to what the focal points – positive or negative – of each room. Many times, you (the seller) don’t notice the minor imperfections that new eyes notice first.
For more information on home staging, check out our agent’s personal tips or read our Home Staging- Room by Room pages.
Brandon is seriously the best real estate agent out there! He literally walked us through every detail of the process and he is so easy to communicate with! He gets back to you ASAP and he exceeded all of our expectations for an agent! I would highly recommend him to anyone!
K. Thibodeaux, Denham Springs LA
Derek was always ready to meet me and show homes when it was convenient to me. When he understood what was most important to me in a home, he would diligently research new listings and send them to me. He worked for me a few months prior to my move from Colorado, never forgetting to keep me informed.
Kathy, Walker LA
Brandon was very helpful during my home search. He was quite resourceful and responsive. I would highly recommend him if you’re looking to purchase or sale your home.
C. Washington, Baton Rouge LA
Brandon did a great job selling our home. He was always available and kept us informed during the process. Brandon is very knowledgeable and more importantly he is honest. I highly recommend Brandon to anyone looking to buy or sell a home.
D. Sutton, Denham Springs LA
Derek is a great guy! It’s been months since we bought our home and I can still call him if I have any questions. If I ever buy another house it will definitely be with him.
D. Thorton, Baton Rouge LA
My husband and I purchased our dream home in April 2015. Prior to buying our home, we searched and worked with few real estate agents. Finally our headache was over!!! We meet with Brandon and just by talking to him we felt confident in him. He is very professional and knows his work. He is very prompt and very helpful. My husband and I highly recommend him. He made sure that we were in our dream home as promised. Brandon takes care of his clients. Becoming a homeowner has been the best thing we…
A. Jenkins, Baton Rouge LA
I am almost 60 years young and have needed to depend on realtors about 5 times in my life, either with buying new property or selling old. Derek was the very first that came with no irritation, or that feeling that I can’t wait to never see this person once the deal is done! With changes in life through new housing being hard enough, Derek Overstreet will become a family friend, due to his professional and trusting guidance as your realtor.
Lizzette, Baton Rouge LA
Working with Smart Move Real Estate and Jay Johnson was an absolute pleasure. They not only got my home sold for top dollar, they also saved me a lot of money in the process. Jay went above and beyond to educate and assure me throughout the process. There is no other Realtor that I would even consider referring to my friends and family!
M. Frazier, Ponchatoula LA
We really enjoyed working with Brandon while searching for our new home. He let us know what to expect and lead us through the whole process so that it didn’t have to be a stressful one. He also responded to our calls and texts quickly, with no matter how small or big our question or concern was. I would highly recommend him to anyone who is even thinking about buying or selling their home.
A. Cain, Denham Springs LA
Brandon was very helpful and knowldgeable. My wife and I were new to the area and looking for our first house Brandon was willing to work with us around my work schedule and was very kind in allowing our young son to come along on house searches and helping to keep him entertained as well .
T. Cain, Denham Springs LA