Home Staging Advice From Our Agents.
Advice From Smart Move Real Estate Agents
Even for real estate professionals like ourselves, selling a home is a complex and often times daunting task. The novice home seller may believe the process of selling a home is just a matter of finding a buyer, agreeing on a price and signing some paperwork at an attorney’s office. In reality, the average real estate sales transaction requires the coordinated efforts and timely execution of duties of dozens of different parties to result in a successful closing .
However, before needing to facilitate the many details required to close the sale of our client’s property, we must first work with the seller to make their property the one a buyer can walk into and feel like this can be “their” home. This starts with preparing the property for showings.
Home Staging 101 – Agents Advice
Our agents are experts when it comes to staging a home and have years of experience. Here are some of their tips on how sell your house quickly and get the best price in the process. They have been real estate agents in Baton Rouge and the surrounding communities of that make up the Greater Baton Rouge market area for a long time…And they are here to help you!
If all you need is some quick advice, check out our Quick Fixes page.
Too Personal– Eliminate as much of you from the house as possible, it needs to be a blank canvas for the buyer. Need help finding a place to store your pictures? Then visit our Home Staging- Storage page.
- Remove all personal photos, they have the potential to negatively affect a potential buyers opinion of the actual home.
- Home buyers want to be able to envision themselves living in the home. Buyers do not want to see the seller’s personal memorabilia all over the home, it distracts the buyer and the buyer cannot envision themselves there. -Brandon Richoux
- Clean, then clean again- You can never be too clean when it comes to showing your home. The buyer wants to feel like they are in a safe and comfortable environment. I have personally had many home buyers dismiss an otherwise perfect home for their family simply because they said they couldn’t imagine stepping foot in a dirty, calcium stained shower! For more cleaning advice for staging a home visit our Room by Room page. -Jay Johnson
- Be overly clean: beds made, no dirty dishes, clothes neatly put in the right place, ect. If small things have not been taken care of (dusty light fixtures or ceiling fans for example) then the buyer will automatically assume that the home in general has not been well taken care of.
- Bathrooms have to be very clean and neat, so purchase new towels, mats and shower curtains if they are not perfect. -Rickie Bliss
- Air condition vent filters are often times overlooked and not changed by a home owner on a regular basis. Make sure you regularly replace all vent filters while the house is on the market. To a buyer, a dirty filter could cause them to wonder about the condition of the heating and air condition systems. Outside air condition unit coils should be cleaned every six months to maintain proper performance of the unit. This will be checked by a the buyer’s home inspector. So go ahead and pay the small charge to have the coils cleaned and eliminate the buyers concern over possibly having a large expenditure to replace a air conditioner unit after they’ve purchased the house. -Derek Overstreet
What’s that smell?– Right before a showing don’t douse every inch of your home with febreze, the buyer will think you are hiding something. Outside smells can be a bad thing, for advice on how to stage your yard visit our Staging the Exterior page.
- Do not use heavy fragrance sprays, the buyer will think you are masking an odor.
- The home should smell clean but do not over do it by any means. A simple scented candle is often sufficient to make the home smell pleasant.
- If you have a pet litter box, you will want to make sure that it is cleaned or even removed from the house before a showing. If there is pet odor in the home, this is one time you might want to break out that Fabreez! –Melanie Curtin
Common Mistakes– Make sure you avoid these common mistakes when staging your home.
- This is not a trap!- Home staging shouldn’t be thought of as a way to “trap” the prospective buyer into purchasing your home. Not a cleaver cover-up to damages or poor maintenance, you should fix these problems before you show. Make sure everything works (lamps, plumbing, no holes in the wall…) You might be surprised how many buyers lose interest in a home simply because the seller didn’t replace burnt out light bulbs!
- Too personal- Just because you love the way your home is decorated, that doesn’t mean the prospective buyer will love it. The whole idea of staging is to create a neutral setting where the buyer can envision their own belongings and decorations in the home.
- Don’t hide your mess- always organize every room in your home, especially your storage space. For in-depth tips on how to organize your storage, visit our Home Staging- Storage page.
- ALWAYS REMEMBER: A buyer has an opinion of a home within 15 seconds, make it count!
Working with Smart Move Real Estate and Jay Johnson was an absolute pleasure. They not only got my home sold for top dollar, they also saved me a lot of money in the process. Jay went above and beyond to educate and assure me throughout the process. There is no other Realtor that I would even consider referring to my friends and family!
Brandon was very helpful during my home search. He was quite resourceful and responsive. I would highly recommend him if you’re looking to purchase or sale your home.
I didn’t have the best experience with the Realtor who sold me my house. So, naturally I was a bit skeptical when Derek and Jay from Smart Move told me that they could get my house sold for less commission than other agents were telling me that they would charge me. Well, they didn’t just get my home sold quickly and for a great price, their knowledge and experience kept me from making a mistake that could have cost me tens of thousands of dollars. I am so thankful I decided to allow them …
Derek is a great guy! It’s been months since we bought our home and I can still call him if I have any questions. If I ever buy another house it will definitely be with him.
Derek was always ready to meet me and show homes when it was convenient to me. When he understood what was most important to me in a home, he would diligently research new listings and send them to me. He worked for me a few months prior to my move from Colorado, never forgetting to keep me informed.
I am almost 60 years young and have needed to depend on realtors about 5 times in my life, either with buying new property or selling old. Derek was the very first that came with no irritation, or that feeling that I can’t wait to never see this person once the deal is done! With changes in life through new housing being hard enough, Derek Overstreet will become a family friend, due to his professional and trusting guidance as your realtor.
Brandon was very helpful and knowldgeable. My wife and I were new to the area and looking for our first house Brandon was willing to work with us around my work schedule and was very kind in allowing our young son to come along on house searches and helping to keep him entertained as well .
My husband and I purchased our dream home in April 2015. Prior to buying our home, we searched and worked with few real estate agents. Finally our headache was over!!! We meet with Brandon and just by talking to him we felt confident in him. He is very professional and knows his work. He is very prompt and very helpful. My husband and I highly recommend him. He made sure that we were in our dream home as promised. Brandon takes care of his clients. Becoming a homeowner has been the best thing we…
Brandon is seriously the best real estate agent out there! He literally walked us through every detail of the process and he is so easy to communicate with! He gets back to you ASAP and he exceeded all of our expectations for an agent! I would highly recommend him to anyone!
Brandon did a great job selling our home. He was always available and kept us informed during the process. Brandon is very knowledgeable and more importantly he is honest. I highly recommend Brandon to anyone looking to buy or sell a home.