Understanding the VA Mortgage
Unlike in years past, when it comes to financing your new home there are only four mortgage options available to homebuyers. These are FHA or Federal Housing Authority loans, Conventional or FANNIE MAE Conforming loans, RD or USDA Rural Development loans and VA or Veteran Administration loans.
Understanding and striving to meet the “ever changing” criteria for these loan programs is important to achieving a successful home purchase. This is just one of the many reasons why it’s essential that the Realtor you choose to help facilitate your home purchase are themselves well versed in the underwriting process and guidelines of each of these programs.
Smart Move Real Estate agents (Smart Agents) are highly trained in the criteria and processes of each of these loan programs.
VA LOAN: These loans are typically made by a bank or direct mortgage lender. A borrower can choose to go through a “middle man” called a mortgage broker, however, they will typically pay higher rates and fees by doing this. VA loans are not typically provided by the Veterans Administration itself, they simple “insure” the lender providing you with the loan against loss in the event of a default.
As of the writing of this article, the current basic criteria for a VA loan are:
- The maximum Veteran Administration (VA ) 100% loan amount for a single family residence in the State of Louisiana is currently $453,100.
- A homebuyer may purchase a higher priced home by providing the lender a 3.5% down payment on the amount that exceeds the $453,100 maximum loan amount. For example: A qualified veteran purchasing a $553,100 would pay 3.5% of the $100,000 that exceeds the maximum loan. In this scenario the buyer would pay only a $3,500 down payment to purchase a $553,100 home.
- A down payment may also be used to reduce the required VA Funding Fee.
As a rule, all active duty and honorably discharged veterans are eligible for a VA Home Loan. The homebuyer must have suitable credit (VA loans allow for more flexibility with credit than conventional loans.), suitable income for the loan amount, and have obtained a valid Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Veterans Administration. SPOUSES of a veteran may also qualify if they meet one of the following conditions:
- Non-remarried spouse of a Veteran who died while in service or from a service connected disability., or
- Spouse of a Service member missing in action or a prisoner of war., or
- Surviving spouse who remarries on or after attaining age 57, and on or after December 16, 2003., or
- Surviving Spouses of certain totally disabled veterans whose disability may not have been the cause of death.
NO DOWN PAYMENT IS REQUIRED! A qualified veteran may purchase a home with a 100% financing mortgage. Though no down payment is required, the veteran may still need monies set aside for closing costs, insurance, tax proration’s and escrow accounts. On certain occasions, these funds may be a gift from a family member. However, you will need to talk to a Certified VA Loan Officer to determine if your unique situation will allow for this. If you can’t get gift funds and don’t have the money in savings, on many occasions you Smart Agent can negotiate to have the seller pay some, or all, of these expenses on your behalf.
The minimum credit score our direct lender will be able to provide you an VA loan is currently 580. If you have had some credit issues in the past, many times your Certified VA Loan Officer can help you remedy some of these and get your score high enough to allow you to use a VA Loan to purchase your new home.
VA borrowers must have a good 12 month rental or mortgage history to qualify. Remember, you’re buying a house. The lender and VA are primarily concerned with how you pay your housing expense! If you currently rent from a property management company the lender will simply have to get a Verification of Rent (VOR) from the property management company. However, if you rent from an individual, you are most likely going to be REQUIRED to produce the last twelve months of cancelled checks to prove you paid your rent on time. On occasion, there can be exceptions for this requirement. You will need to discuss this with your Certified VA Loan Officer.
- What about old charged off accounts and medical bills? DON’T DO ANYTHING WITH THEM! Many times a homebuyer will try to “fix” their own credit calling old accounts seeking to settle them. This very move can keep you from purchasing your home! Old accounts no longer impact your credit score. Contacting these companies in an attempt to settle them actually re-actives the account. THIS WILL PLUMMET YOUR CREDIT SCORE! If you have derogatory entries on your credit bureau, let your Certified VA Loan Officer direct you how, and which ones, to fix.
- VA Funding Fee & Mortgage Insurance: As mentioned earlier, the VA does not write most of their loans. They only insure the lender against loss. Thus being the case, VA charges a 2.15% Funding Fee for first time users of a 100% loan eligibility. Second time users of the 100% benefit are charge a 3.3% Funding Fee. If the veteran puts 5 to 10% down on the house the Funding Fee can drop to 1.5%. Down payments of 10% or more can drop the Funding Fee to as low as 1.25%. Regardless of the amount of the Funding Fee, it is typically added on top of the principle mortgage amount. One of the advantages of a VA mortgage is there is NO MORTGAGE INSURANCE PREMIUM. With other types of loans that exceed an 80% Loan to Value (the buyer is not providing a 20% cash down payment) a monthly Mortgage Insurance premium will be charged to the borrower. The VA Loan has only the Funding Fee.
- FOR MORE INFORMATION ON VA MORTGAGES CONTACT A VA LOAN DIRECT LENDER or visit the Veterans Administration website.
Brandon was very helpful and knowldgeable. My wife and I were new to the area and looking for our first house Brandon was willing to work with us around my work schedule and was very kind in allowing our young son to come along on house searches and helping to keep him entertained as well .
Derek is a great guy! It’s been months since we bought our home and I can still call him if I have any questions. If I ever buy another house it will definitely be with him.
Brandon was very helpful during my home search. He was quite resourceful and responsive. I would highly recommend him if you’re looking to purchase or sale your home.
I am almost 60 years young and have needed to depend on realtors about 5 times in my life, either with buying new property or selling old. Derek was the very first that came with no irritation, or that feeling that I can’t wait to never see this person once the deal is done! With changes in life through new housing being hard enough, Derek Overstreet will become a family friend, due to his professional and trusting guidance as your realtor.
Brandon is seriously the best real estate agent out there! He literally walked us through every detail of the process and he is so easy to communicate with! He gets back to you ASAP and he exceeded all of our expectations for an agent! I would highly recommend him to anyone!
Brandon did a great job selling our home. He was always available and kept us informed during the process. Brandon is very knowledgeable and more importantly he is honest. I highly recommend Brandon to anyone looking to buy or sell a home.
Working with Smart Move Real Estate and Jay Johnson was an absolute pleasure. They not only got my home sold for top dollar, they also saved me a lot of money in the process. Jay went above and beyond to educate and assure me throughout the process. There is no other Realtor that I would even consider referring to my friends and family!
Derek was always ready to meet me and show homes when it was convenient to me. When he understood what was most important to me in a home, he would diligently research new listings and send them to me. He worked for me a few months prior to my move from Colorado, never forgetting to keep me informed.
We really enjoyed working with Brandon while searching for our new home. He let us know what to expect and lead us through the whole process so that it didn’t have to be a stressful one. He also responded to our calls and texts quickly, with no matter how small or big our question or concern was. I would highly recommend him to anyone who is even thinking about buying or selling their home.
My husband and I purchased our dream home in April 2015. Prior to buying our home, we searched and worked with few real estate agents. Finally our headache was over!!! We meet with Brandon and just by talking to him we felt confident in him. He is very professional and knows his work. He is very prompt and very helpful. My husband and I highly recommend him. He made sure that we were in our dream home as promised. Brandon takes care of his clients. Becoming a homeowner has been the best thing we…